Sunday 10 May 2015

Sugar-less and fancy (cake) free

After watching Fed Up, an American documentary about the sugar and the food industry (it's a good watch and on Netflix) I have been inspired to take on a challenge of going sugar-less for 7 days.  Sugar-less means no sugar or sugar substitutes.  I wasn't sure what sort of task I had set myself...until I went shopping.  And here's the thing, there's sugar in nearly damn everything.

I reckon that more than three quarters of the food in a Tesco supermarket has sugar added to it, or is a diet substitute with added sweetener.  And what's left is mostly fresh fruit, vegetables, dairy and meat (although I did find some peanut butter and soya sauce.)  It was as the documentary had pointed out, sugar has become an easy, cheap way to flavour food, food which you never would have thought should come within 10 metres of sugar, and those fat bastards in the food industry are making a lot of money, and adding to a lot of people's ill health.

I've been sugar-less for 5 days now, it's not been easy.  Today I went into a garage and was literally surrounded by sugar filled products, and at school I have been ignoring the biscuits and deserts on offer daily.  And I feel great.  I'm not sure how to quantify it, my body just feels cleaner at the moment.  Walking through the aisles of chocolate and sweets I didn't feel like I wanted anything.  I'm hoping that any cravings will slowly subside, disappear and I'll be sugar-less for a lot longer than 7 days ...

No comments:

Post a Comment